Thursday, October 23, 2008

Is It Just Me, Or Is Something REALLY Wrong Here?

Here in New England, it's turned quite chilly really fast. Like turn-the-heat-on chilly. (I hated to do it, but yes, I succumbed.)

On Monday, while in the midst of dropping my littlest little off at school, her Junior Teacher said to me, "I've been told to inform all of the parents that we'll be taking a nature walk on Thursday, and it's supposed to be freezing out Thursday morning, so we're asking that all of the kids be dressed appropriately." I told her that my Little Miss went to school this morning in her late fall/early winter coat, with a hat, a scarf, and some Thinsulate mittens. She was all set.

The teacher then said to me, "Well, to be honest, I wasn't concerned about your daughter at all, 'cause I know you take good care of her. But, I was told to say that to everyone." My response was, "Yeah.... I'm not like SOME mothers in here, who dress their daughters in sundresses and Crocs when it's 45 degrees outside." (NOT kidding!)

So, this morning, because I knew in advance that they were taking this walk, and because it surely was frigid out first thing this morning, I piled the clothes on my little one. She went to school dressed in her a pair of jeans, a long-sleeved shirt, and a sweatshirt. And, as before, when leaving the house, we put her in her coat, hat, mittens and scarf.

We got to her school, and I signed her into the parent's log, and she went off to "sign in" on the kids' board. As she was looking to move her name from the "Out" column to the "In" column, I noticed the same little girl I mentioned before, sitting in the listening station with her mom.

Wanna know what her mom dressed HER in today?

Ready???


She had on a tank-top style velour leotard. Oh, and Crocs. That's IT.

What makes it WORSE (if there is such a thing), is that her mom doesn't even drive her to school. She sticks her daughter in her swanky, fancy-schmancy jogging stroller, and she pushes her to school while rollerblading! So, this poor child is being exposed to the elements.... in her leotard and Crocs!

I was COMPLETELY appalled, and more than a little shocked when, as I was getting ready to leave, I heard her say to her daughter, "Do you want to think about putting your pants on now, sweetie?"

Huh??? Are you KIDDING ME???!!! Is it just me??

And of course, you KNOW that kid will be the only one in school who NEVER gets sick. Isn't that always the way?

I walked out of the school, shaking my head all the way. I got out to the car, turned on the ignition.

And turned on the heat.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

ok..I had tried to post a comment the day that you had written this post, it was a different comment window, and then it did not post. So, you are getting the repeat comment! There is nothing that ticks me off more than stupid parents who put a coat or jacket on themselves and then take their littleones out into the elements and then wonder why they are cold. Um, hello..if you are cold, then your little ones are to genius! Ok, I will stop, but the nerve of some parents!