Friday, May 23, 2008

Can I Have A Little Cheese With That Whine??

Ever hear the saying, "Let a sleeping dog lie?" Well, I'm here to tell you that the exact same saying applies to little children. I made the deadly mistake of finding this out the hard way yesterday.

My littlest little struggled to go down for a nap yesterday afternoon. She was "dog" tired (no pun intended), but was fighting it tooth and nail, for whatever reason. She finally, FINALLY passed out, and slept for quite a long while.

During the course of her siesta, the winds started whipping outside and the weather began to change dramatically. The temperature dropped, and as it got colder, I walked through the house, shutting down windows. I noticed that my daughter's window was open a hair (just up to the safety lock on the inside of the sash), and she was curled up in a ball, without any blankets on her.

I tiptoed into her room, and q-u-i-e-t-l-y shut down her window, and put another blanket over her (I didn't even bother messing with her other blankets that had become a balled up mess on the bottom of her little bed). As I was leaving her room, I heard her begin to rustle. I sent a quick prayer up to God, asking Him to please let it be that she's just rolling over to another comfy position, and that she'll go back to sleep.

WRONG!

Just that little bit of stirring woke her up. And put her in a miserable, nasty, grumpy, whiny mood for the remainder of the evening. There was nothing anyone in this household could say or do to make her stop the constant litany that equalled the sound of a fire siren, coupled with fingernails on a chalkboard, constantly spewing out of her mouth. It took all I had to keep from sitting down in the middle of the floor and throwing an adult version of my very own temper tantrum right along with her.

After what seemed like an eternity of this, she finally wound down enough to pass out again...this time, for the evening. I didn't make the same mistake twice... as I was heading off to bed, I told my husband to go and check on her before he came to bed (just in case we were in for a reprive -- let him take the fall for "round two"! :)

Thankfully, it never came, and we all slept soundly last night. She woke up like the bright, chipper, lovey of a kid she is for the most part. I don't know what happened to the devil that crawled into her last night, but I'm glad someone found the decency to perform that particular brand of exorcism! :)

No comments: