Monday, May 5, 2008

Good News and Bad News... Pretty Much in the Same Phone Call

My husband and I try to make it a point to talk to one another while I'm sitting in the car outside my oldest daughter's school, waiting for her to be let out for the day so I can chauffeur her back home.

Today, my husband beat me to it, by calling me first. He actually caught me while I was pulling out of our driveway. After sixteen years of being together with this man, I knew his need to talk to me that badly had to have some merit. I was happy to hear I wasn't wrong.

Turns out, one of the major companies he's been itching to work for for YEARS has announced that it's hiring people in the field my husband used to work in (and wants to be a part of again). He was told this information by a fellow employee yesterday, while working a two-man job with him, I guess (awful to say, but I tend to tune out on my husband the same way I tune out on my kids... and only really perk up when the meat of the subject is mentioned). So, he said, on a fluke, he decided to apply, and forwarded his resume to their human resources office last night at 11:30 p.m. He got a phone call at 10:30 a.m. this morning, to set up an interview!

Although this position is second shift (which means I'll have the rugrats all by myself in the evenings... God help me!), it would do wonders for his soul to get his foot back in the door of the field that he really loves. I told him to go for it.

You could hear the excitement in his voice as he was talking to me, and my heart was really happy for him as we were hanging up. No sooner did we say our goodbyes, that I folded my phone back up, put it in its little holder in the console of the car, and hung my left arm outside the window. That's when I noticed.... I'd lost one of the diamonds out of the anniversary ring my husband gave me for our 10th anniversary.

Not only do I LOVE that ring, it would cost us a small fortune to replace, considering each of the six stones in the ring weighs a little less than a 1/2 carat. I was floored.

So... back on the phone I went, calling my husband to vent. I think I had to announce it out loud to someone, just to make it a complete reality to me. I was heartbroken, and I know that searching for that stone is like looking for a needle in a haystack. And, since I have no clue when it popped out, it could be ANYWHERE.

I just wish, that once in awhile, we could have a spot of good news without having the other shoe drop.

No comments: