My new blogger bud Susy tagged me recently, asking me to create my own "The Ten Things I Really Love" list. I know some of you may think now is NOT the time for me to respond to this particular task, but given the last post I just submitted, I'm willing to bet that thinking loving thoughts might do me a world of good right about now.
So, without further ado:
TEN THINGS I REALLY LOVE
1) My husband. Before you start groaning at me, I know deep in my heart that this man I married is my true soulmate. He "rescued" me from a time in my life when I felt all was lost in the love department. He took me by the hand, and in his own, gentle way, led me toward a life where trust and devotion and commitment are second nature. He is my hero, the one true love of my life, and my very best friend.
2) I love my son for being one of the kindest, gentlest people I know. He does things on a regular basis that make me so proud of him, and that show me what a truly unselfish young man he can be.
3) I love my oldest daughter because she is, without a doubt, one of the most loving, happy-go-lucky kids I've ever met. She lives her life with a reckless abandon that makes almost everything she does a real adventure. She's got a smile that lights up a room, eyes that will pierce through a man's soul, and a genuine heart of gold. Whatever she winds up doing with her life, she'll do with passion, with dedication, and with love.
4) I love that my little one is such a spitfire. She's incredibly beautiful, incredibly funny, and incredibly intelligent. She makes me laugh on a daily basis, and loves doing it. She won't take crap from anyone, and is fiercely defensive and "cub-like" with everyone in her "clan". I call her my little Wal-Mart greeter... she'll say hello and talk to anyone, and is so cute and so engaging that people can't help but want to talk back.
5) There are certain smells that I love, because they bring back significant memories for me: The smell of the ocean reminds me of all of the wonderful summers I had growing up where my entire family would gather together for two weeks every August and go away together to a cottage in Hampton Beach, New Hampshire. It brings me such peace and contentment to sit with my feet in the sand, and feel that warm ocean breeze on my skin;
I love the smell of lilacs, because they remind me of spring;
I love the smell of Johnson's Baby Powder, because it reminds me of all of those gentle, warm baths I gave to my teeny tiny little babies;
I love the smell of Youth Dew, because it reminds me of my mother;
I love the smell of oil, because it reminds me of my dad;
I love the smell of fresh brewed coffee, because it reminds me of growing up in my house as a kid;
I love the smell of roasting turkey, because it reminds me of everything good about every holiday I've ever shared with my family;
I love the smell of the Border Cafe, because it reminds me of the time when my husband and I were going out on our first few dates together, and discovering the love we had for each other.
6) I love Christmas morning. I get such a rush out of watching my children, and the sheer excitement and joy on their faces as the paper flies through the air, and the squeals of delight when they've discovered that they really have been on Santa's good list and have received their most desired treasures.
7) I love to watch my babies (big and small) sleep. The look of pure peace on their sleeping faces is the closest I'll ever get to seeing Heaven here on Earth.
8) I love completing a craft project I've worked on for a long time. That sense of accomplishment is a pretty powerful thing.
9) I love hearing that I'm a good mom. Although that particular compliment doesn't come very often (as it shouldn't, for it's a pretty weighty one), when I do receive it, it makes my heart swell with pride.
10) I love all of the people who love me, because at the end of the day, and in spite of everything, they truly do make me feel blessed.